JavaScript is required to use Bungie.net

#Community

8/1/2004 10:15:40 PM

Question To Video Game Designers

Hello, I was wondering if anyone that helps design HALO 2 or video games in general could help me. I am going on my senior year in high school, and planning to go to college and major in computer animation. I am part of an elite art program, and I paint(oils), draw(charcoal, graphite, colored pencils), and do sculpture(wood carving, clay, wood sculpture). I am constantly working on my art and paint or draw basically everyday. If I am not painting, I am drawing, not drawing, sketching studies in my sketch book, and if I am not doing that I am at least carving or having my portfolio critiqued. My question is this, If I go to college and get a degree in computer animation and maybe one in graphic design, will that set me up for a job in video game development? When I say video game development, I stress more on the concept work and design of settings, character, etc... Thank you.

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• My suggestion- don't go to one of those animation schools that churn out graduates. They just teach you apps, and not art. Your best bet is going to a 4 year university. I got suckered into a lame school. I learned a lot of programs, but it didn't really make me a better artist (well, life drawing improved me somewhat). Now I have to bust my ass doing a good reel to hopefully break into 3d (either gaming or film) and maybe someday work for a place like Bungie. Check out www.cgtalk.com, it's a message board for 3d and computer artists and industry(both film and gaming) pros. Photoshop is good, Painter is also popular among CG artists. Also, I highly recommend picking up a tablet, such as Wacom's Graphire. These are websites for my two favorite concept artists, Feng Zhu and Ryan Church: www.artbyfeng.com www.ryanchurch.com

Posting in language:

Play nice. Take a minute to review our Code of Conduct before submitting your post. Cancel Edit Create Fireteam Post

• Thank you for answering my questions. Your information is very useful and I will be sure to buy Photoshop 7.0 when I come home from vacation a week from now. Thank you again! - Justin Rodriguez

Posting in language:

• The only cruddy thing about the business, like every other good business', they want experience. But really now, how can you get experience if everyone wants 2 years of experience. My advice to you is take in as much volunteering in that major as possible. There must be small companies, charitable events, etc around your area that want designers but may not be able to pay much. So I would say volunteer for a bit, then get all of them to do a write up on you. Volunteering looks better on a resume then job experience does. Odd isn't it?

Posting in language:

• I know schools like itt tech have degrees in game design and the classwork focuses a lot on computer animation and on storyboarding and concept art for games maybe you should check that out.

Posting in language:

• [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] ObbiQuiet Word of advice: 'Buy' and master photoshop 7.0. [/quote] True. Also drop SketchFactor a line (he should be able to help you) or email the Bungie Webmaster. >>>[email] webmaster@bungie.com [/email] Also look [url=http://www.bungie.net/Inside/Page.aspx?section=Jobs&subsection=Mai n&page=1]here[/url]. [Edited on 8/1/2004 9:43:40 PM]

Posting in language:

• Word of advice: 'Buy' and master photoshop 7.0.

Posting in language:

• Quite possible, I would say so. You should look around the internet for "A job in Video Games" etc. Learn as much as you can (unlike me) Good Luck.

Posting in language:

You are not allowed to view this content.
;
preload icon
preload icon
preload icon